Purple flowering shrubs (pictures of) grown for retail sale by Azalea House Flowering Shrub Farm. Clicking on the picture should open more pictures or futher information. If the pictures dont open try going to this page at purple Scroll Down! Lilacs and Roses. Links at bottom.
'AGINCOURT BEAUTY' Purple single flowers Crop 078 Lilac (S. vulgaris) Zones 3 thru 8, single deep purple flowers, bloom for several weeks in late spring, (Slater, 1968). Mr Slater (-1982) had a Nursery in Agincourt, Ontario, Canada.
223 Amelie Gravereaux Rose 1903 Hybrid rugosa, 4a thru 5b, 5 feet x 5 feet, dark purple flowers strongly fragrant.
'ANDENKEN AN LUDWIG SPAETH' Purple single flowers Crop 086 Lilac (10) (S. vulgaris) Zones 3 thru 8, Syringa vulgaris to around 10 feet, single very dark purple flowers bloom for several weeks in late spring, (Spaeth, 1883).
006) 'BASYE'S PURPLE' Hybrid Rugosa Rose, Basye's Purple (Rosa rugosa x Rosa foliolosa Hybrid) Rose, (zones 5 thru 8, 5 feet x 5 feet), blooms all summer for us.
181BELLE DE CRECY, 'Belle de Crecy' Hybrid Gallica Rose (zones 4 thru 8, 5 feet x 3 feet ), strongly fragrant, it blooms for several weeks in late spring to early summer.
116) CARDINAL de RICHELIEU Hybrid Gallica 'Cardinal de Richelieu' Gallica Rose Old Garden Rose introduced before 1847, (zones 4 thru 8, 4 feet x 6 feet), fragrant, it blooms for several weeks in late spring to early summer.
'CONGO' (S. vulgaris) Zones 3 thru 8, flowers open wine red then turn purple and bloom for several weeks in late spring (Lemoine, 1896).
'DARK NIGHT' Purple single flowers Crop 081 Lilac (S. hyacithiflora) (10), Zone 3 thru 8, deep purple single flowers with a darker purple inner petal that flowers for several weeks in early spring, (Sobek, 1966). John Sobek is a grower in California.
'DONALD WYMAN' Lavender single flowers Crop 123 Lilac (S. prestoniae) Zone 3 large lavender-purple flowers (Skinner, 1944). Mr Skinners Nursery was in Dropmore, Manitoba, Canada.
'FOREST KRESSER SMITH' Lavender single flowers Crop 083 Lilac (13), (S. hyacinthiflora) Zones 3 thru 8, Syringa vulgaris to around 10 feet, single lavender flowers bloom for several weeks in late spring, (Sobek, ).
29) 'HANSA' Hybrid Rugosa Rose, 'Hansa' Hybrid Rugosa Rose introduced around 1905 (Zones 3 thru 7, 5 feet x 5 feet) fragrant flowers bloom late spring and throughout summer.
158) La Belle Sultane or Violacea, 'La Belle' Sultane', 'Violacea' Hybrid Gallica Rose introduced around 1795. (Zones 4 thru 8, 5 feet x 5 feet) fragrant flowers bloom for 6 to 8 weeks late spring to early summer, orange fall foliage.
'MONGE' Magenta single flowers Crop 088 Lilac (S. vulgaris) Introduced in 1913 (Lemoine, 1913). Zones 3 thru 8, reddish-purple flowers and usually grow to 10 or 12 feet. Mr Lemoine (1862-1943) was a nurseryman in Nancy, France.
225 Ombree Parfaite Rose gallica 1823 zones 4b thru 8b, 3x2, purple flowers
'POCAHONTAS' Purple single flowers Crop 113 Lilac (S. hyacinthiflora) Zones 3 thru 8, purple single flowers for several weeks in spring (introduced by Skinner in 1935). Mr Skinners (1882-1967) Nursery was in Dropmore, Manitoba, Canada.
'PRESIDENT POINCAIRE' Magenta double flowers Crop 089 Lilac (S. vulgaris) Zones 3 thru 8, magenta-red double flowers (double flowered Syringa vulgaris = French Lilac) and usually grow to 10 or 12 feet (Lemoine, 1913).
'PURPLE GLORY' Purple single flowers Crop 073 Lilac (S. hyacinthiflora) Zone 3 thru 8, single bluish-purple flowers that flowers for several weeks in early spring, (Clarke, 1949). Mr Clarke's Nursery was in San Jose, California.
51) Roseraie de l'hay Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Roseraie de l'Hay' Hybrid Rugosa Rose introduced in 1901, (zones 3 thru 8, 8'x8'), orange yellow fall foliage, strongly fragrant, it blooms for us all summer when regularley dead headed and fertilized.
178 Rotes Meer Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Rotes Meer' 'Purple Pavement' Hybrid Rugosa Rose introduced in 1983. (Zones 3 thru 9, 5 feet x 5 feet) flowers bloom late spring through summer,
203 'Rubra' Rosa Rugosa Rubra
'SARAH SANDS' Purple single flowers Crop 091 Lilac (S. vulgaris) zones 3 thru 8, single dark purple flowers bloom for several weeks in late spring to early summer. (Havemeyer, 1943).
'SENSATION' Purple single flowers Crop 092 Lilac (Maarse, 1938).
189 Tour de Malakoff (1857), (Taffeta Rose) centifolia, zone 4 thru 9 6 feet x 5 feet, non-recurrent, strongly fragrant, purplish.
207 'Tuscany' 'Tuscany', 'The Old Velvet Rose', Gallica Rose, semi-double maroon purple flowers with yellow stamens, introduced before 1596 in Italy, Hardy in zones 4 through 8, 4 feet tall x 3 feet wide.
62) 'TUSCANY SUPERB', Hybrid Gallica Rose (1837), non recurrent, ("Growing Roses Organically" Wilde, 148, zones 4-10, DR-0/0), ("Roses" Beales, 152, superb), ("David Austin's English Roses" Austin, 12), ("Classic Roses" Beales, 165), 4'X3', sport of 'Tuscany', introduced by Paul in 1848, semi-double flowers of velvety dark red. golden stamens in center. strongly perfumed.
66) 'WILLIAM LOBB' 'OLD VELVET MOSS' , Introduced in 1855, ("Classic Roses" Beales, fl:183), 'Duchesse d'Istrie', 'Old Velvet Moss', Introduced by Laffay of France. Semi-double scented flowers that are a mix of purple, magenta, grey and pink. Hardy in zones 4 through 9, 8 feet tall x 5 feet wide.
I propagate and grow plants that are locally HARDY, DISEASE RESISTANT, VIGOROUS and FRAGRANT to sell during our Retail Plant Sale , Mail Order or by Appointment. Mail-Order is sent out in Mid-May and July 4, so be sure to get your order in early. We grow Classic Lilacs mostly those that have flowers that look purple or are double. Disease Resistant Roses including; Alba Roses, Gallica Roses, Damask Roses, Centifolia Roses, Hybrid Rugosa Roses, Climbing Roses & Rambler Roses, Roses with small flowers, Old Garden Roses mentioned in literature. Native Azaleas and Rhododendrons including Pinxterbloom azalea or R. nudiflorum / R. periclymenoides, Swamp azalea or R. viscosum and Rosebay rhododendron or R. maximum. We also grow many hardy Blueberry Bushes including native blueberry V. corrymbosum (Highbush Blueberry), V angustifolium (Lowbush Blueberry) and Half High Blueberry bushes that are a super hardy hybrid of highbush and lowbush. Espalier Trained fruit Trees including; Step over or Horizontal T trained Apple trees, Pear trees and Crabapple trees. I add new pictures to this months newsletter every week; January February March April May 1 to 15 May 16 to 31 June week #1 June week #2 June week #3 June last days July August September October November December We only sell Lilacs or Roses that are in bloom or that have previously bloomed. Contact me!